Downtown Kansas City includes a surprising mix of world-class destinations to places locals enjoy hanging out at! This Midwestern town has even been named one of “America’s Best Downtowns” by Forbes Magazine. Here you can marvel at skyscrapers and fantastic examples of art deco buildings. There has been a recent renaissance in the city’s core over the past several years and visitors will feel it. The city has a new cool cultural vibe that is driven by a thriving art scene. There are also the one-of-a-kind museums, great shopping, and restaurants that make for a spectacular experience that is sure to be a highlight of your time spent here.
Let our Independence bed and breakfast be your perfect getaway near Kansas City this season! At our historic inn, you’ll feel the ambiance of a bygone era. Our elegant accommodations will be your retreat after coming back from downtown Kansas City. We offer 4 beautifully appointed guest rooms as well as 2 cozy and comfortable cottages.
Even though our 1856 house holds on to the look and feel of a historic home, we still provide you with all the modern conveniences you love to make your stay the best. At our quiet bed and breakfast, you can truly unwind and slow down. We are located near the historic Independence Square as well as the Harry S. Truman home and museum. After exploring all that downtown Kansas City has to offer, wander around the quaint small town of Independence. If you are looking for a relaxing and peaceful escape this season, book your stay with us today!
Things to See in Downtown Kansas City
Come on out to downtown Kansas City for an exciting exploration of this dynamic and up-and-coming place! This town is well-known for its Bar-b-que scene, the jazz here, and the beautiful fountains that are scattered throughout the city. But there is much more to discover such as world-class museums and other unique experiences. There are a number of things that are quintessential to any trip here. These are our 10 favorite things to see in downtown Kansas City this summer!
- If you are craving some incredible art look no further than the art museums in downtown Kansas City. This town is lucky enough to be home to 2 museums that each specialize in different styles of art. At the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, you’ll see art that spans over 5, 000 years. From ceramics of ancient Chinese tombs to the intriguing outdoor sculptures on the lawn. At the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, you’ll explore their permanent and temporary collections by both well-known and emerging artists in a building made of striking architecture.
- At the Crown Center in downtown Kansas City, you’ll find a plethora of activities including one-of-a-kind shopping, dining, events, and attractions. Here there are 2 free summer events that last until September 6, 2021. Explore the deep blue sea at the Under the Sea Adventure and check out original drawings by Saul Steinberg, an illustrator for New Yorker Magazine, called Greetings, Saul Steinberg.
- The region’s largest farmers market, The City market, runs both Saturdays and Sundays and offers more than 140 farmers stalls with a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, baked goods, flowers, and items from all over the world. There is also a unique collection of gift shops and restaurants. Here you’ll also find the interesting Arabia Steamboat Museum which houses one of the largest pre-civil war artifacts collections.
- At Penn Valley Park you will get one of the best skyline views of downtown Kansas City. This 130-acre park holds great historical significance having first being developed in 1904 where the Santa Fe Trail passed through. Here there are commemorative statues as well as being home to the National World War I Museum.
- Nicknamed the “city of fountains”, downtown Kansas City has more than 200 fountains to see scattered throughout the city. From grand cascading pieces to petite works in neighborhoods, there is a wide array of the types of fountains you’ll see here. The city began putting in drinking fountains so that citizens would have safe drinking water and also began erecting distinctive and visually interesting designs for the fountains that eventually the city became synonymous with.
- Country Club Plaza in downtown Kansas City is a great place to see some of the well-known fountains. Here you can browse shops, dine out at great restaurants, and take a romantic horse-drawn carriage amongst the Spanish-inspired architecture.
- If you want a truly quintessential downtown Kansas City experience head down to 18th and Vine, home to some of the greatest legends in jazz and baseball. This incredible area includes well-known music clubs, The American Jazz Museum, The Negro Leagues Museum as well as delicious barbeque restaurants.
The Best Lodging in Independence
After a day of exploring all that downtown Kansas City has to offer you’ll want to come back to a quiet and relaxing place to unwind. At our historic Independence bed and breakfast, we feature 4 elegantly appointed guest rooms, all uniquely decorated with amenities that may include a king or queen-size bed, a gas or electric fireplace, complimentary streaming Netflix, In-room snacks, private bathrooms, and much more. Enjoy the use of our spa tub on the open-air porch.
We also offer 2 quaint and cozy cottages for even more romance and seclusion. The warm and welcoming ambiance of our Independence lodging is just what you need. If you want the perfect place for the ideal getaway to Independence this season, book your stay with us today!