The reasons to visit Kansas City in 2021 is a seemingly endless list full of new restaurants, exciting art exhibits to check out, fun shops to explore, and so much more! With just a short drive over into the city from Independence, you could enjoy a whole day or drive out for a special date night. This is a special city that has new possibilities on the horizon. Named one of the “16 cities to visit before your friends catch on” by Conde Nast Traveller, this is an interesting and exciting city to explore right now.
Our Independence bed and breakfast is the perfect spot to stay while checking out surrounding areas like Kansas City. Our Inn captures the history and romantic ambiance of a bygone era with the main house being built in 1856. We are located within a mile of the historic Independence Square and Truman Library. Our Missouri accommodations offer the big-city amenities you love to have access to but in a smaller, more quiet community. If you are ready for the best place to stay while exploring this fantastic area, book your room today!
Reasons to Visit Kansas City
Kansas City is a vibrant and dynamic city at the moment and it is well worth the trip out to witness what’s happening in this unassuming midwest town. Full of world-class exhibitions, fun and new restaurants, interesting neighborhoods to look around in, and much more this is a place that has something new every time you visit. 2021 will bring new opportunities for people to explore this hidden gem. Here are 10 reasons to visit Kansas City.
- The art and culture here rival that of a European city and these are big reasons to visit Kansas City. The two art museums represent two different periods for art, showcasing the importance of both. The Nelson Atkins Art Museum has been open since 1933. It highlights well-known and loved pieces from art history. Current 2021 exhibitions include Robert Blackburn and Modern American Printmaking and Gordon Parks X Muhammad Ali. The Kemper Modern Art Museum is focused on living contemporary artists who comment on current social and political events. An interesting exhibit in 2021 is Joiri Minaya- Divergences.
- Checking out a city’s neighborhoods tells you a lot about what life is really like for locals. The Crossroads Arts District is known as the eclectic creative spot in town that is full of arts, entertainment, great restaurants, and shops. River Market is another vibrant community that features the City market which is one of the main reasons people flock here. This farmers market is the largest in the region and is a sight to see The neighborhoods are one of the best reasons for visiting Kansas City.
- There is incredible food in this city famous for its BBQ like at places such as Joe’s Kansas City BBQ. New and inventive chefs are moving beyond the BBQ realm at establishments like Fox and Pearl where they describe the menu as midwestern bistro. Cafe Gratitude offers vegan and vegetarian fare that is 100% plant-based and organic.
- This city is dedicated to honoring the past with its many interactive and informative museums that are some of the fantastic reasons for visiting Kansas City. The Negro Leagues Museum is the only museum that preserves and celebrates the cultural change that African -American baseball had. The American Jazz Museum highlights the history, sights, people, and sounds of jazz through hands-on exhibits.
- Union Station, set in a historic train station, offers an array of restaurants, theaters, a planetarium, and exhibition spaces. Be sure to stop by in 2021 as there are always traveling national exhibits as well as new free permanent exhibits to check out! A must on a list of reasons to visit Kansas City.
- Nicknamed the “Paris of the plains”, Kansas City is definitely a shopping mecca of the midwest with an extensive list of small boutiques, antique shops, and specialty stores. There are always new shops popping up on the scene to check out. If you are interested in local, the Made in KC store carries all kinds of local goodies where you are sure to find a special souvenir. Stop by Normal Human for fun printed tees as well as other items. Westside Storey specializes in vintage-inspired apparel that makes great gifts. Come out and see what’s new in 2021!
- Speaking of shopping, one of the big reasons to visit Kansas City anytime is to stop by The Plaza. This outdoor mall opened in 1923 and was built to rival European architecture. There are unique touches like Spanish tiles and frescos throughout the shopping area. This is a beautiful place to wander around and find something you’ve never seen before.
- The craft brewery culture in Kansas City is fast growing and is making this town a destination city for new and inventive establishments. Every neighborhood here has its go-to Brewery and tap house to check out. See what’s new in 2021 and why this is one of the best reasons to visit Kansas City!
- A visit to the Kansas City Museum is one of the incredible reasons to visit Kansas City in 2021 as it has been undergoing major renovations for several years. The museum, set in a historic mansion will open back up within the year and will still be dedicated to collecting, preserving, and interpreting local and regional history.
- Put on your walking shoes and head out for a Kansas City Scavenger Hunt! In 2021 this is a great option for an outdoor activity where you’ll get some exercise all while learning fun facts about the city. With the App Let’s Roam, you’ll be led to fountains, works of art, and interesting architecture. No need to be in a tourist-filled museum! Just one more of the fun reasons to visit Kansas City in 2021.
The Best Independence Lodging
Let our Independence bed and breakfast be your 2021 getaway! After a day exploring all the reasons to visit Kansas City come back to the casual, elegant, and quiet atmosphere of our historic Inn. In your romantic and tranquil guest room, you’ll be able to unwind and get a great night’s sleep on your bed fitted with luxurious linens. Read a book or watch a movie and escape into seclusion. Speaking of seclusion, we also offer 2 cozy cottages away from the house for the ultimate in solitude and getting away from it all. if you want the best retreat to stay at while also being in close proximity to big-city amenities in 2021, book your room today!