For such a small town, there’s a lot of history packed into Independence, MO, dating back to the earliest days of our country’s pioneering efforts to move out west. From visiting the popular Harry S. Truman Library and Museum to the National Frontier Trails Museum, there are plenty of things to do in Independence, MO. Most of it is within easy reach of our historic Missouri Bed and Breakfast, too!
When you’re looking for the perfect place to get away this fall, there’s no better place to choose than our Independence, MO, Bed, and Breakfast. We’re located right in the heart of historic America and just a short drive away from the excitement in Kansas City. It’s a getaway that offers the best of both worlds, with the unbeatable hospitality you’d expect from a small town.
Whether you’re here to enjoy a bit of history at places like the National Frontier Trails Museum or you’d rather do a bit of shopping in the big city, we offer a comfortable retreat to unwind at the end of your day. Fall is beautiful here – go book your room at our Independence, MO, Bed, and Breakfast today!
Visit the National Frontier Trails Museum
Most people have heard of the Oregon Trail and maybe even the Santa Fe and California Trails – but have you ever stood where these trails began and where pioneering Americans once stood as they dreamed about their new (and bright) futures out west? That’s exactly what you can do when you visit the National Frontier Trails Museum in Independence, MO. The National Frontier Trails Museum is a history museum, interpretive center, and research library dedicated to this important part of our country’s past.
Your trip to the National Frontier Trails Museum starts with an introductory film about America’s westward expansion. From there, you’re free to explore the various exhibits as you please. You’ll even have the opportunity to see “Trail Swales” (authentic wagon ruts) from this historic time, as well as take a ride in an old wagon to get a feel for what that journey must have been like.
As part of the National Frontier Trails Museum exhibits, you’ll have the opportunity to read journal entries, along with other illustrations and artifacts. The National Frontier Trails Museum goes beyond the earliest pioneers traveling the trails. Also, it does a great job at telling the tales of the explorations of Lewis and Clark, exploring the vital role of fur trappers and traders, and analyzing the unique story of Mormons that came to Independence, MO, looking for religious freedom.
More Things to do in Independence, MO, This Fall
Though fascinating, visiting the National Frontier Trails Museum is just one of the many things to do in Independence, MO. Don’t let the small size of this town fool you – it’s a wonderful place to spend your next vacation! Many of the top things to do in Independence, MO, have to do with history – but even if you’re not a history lover, you’ll find plenty to do here.
There are innovative restaurants, great shopping, and plenty more to enjoy. Get ready for a town filled with a big personality! Here are just a few things to do in Independence, MO, this fall:
- A trip to Independence wouldn’t be complete without stopping by the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum and the Harry S. Truman Home, a National Historic Site that was the longtime home of the former President.
- Speaking of historic homes, don’t miss the chance to visit the Bingham-Waggoner Estate or the Harvey M. Vaile Mansion. Both are top-rated things to do in Independence, MO.
- The theme of history continues when you visit the Midwest Geneology Center. This building provides access to thousands of on-site materials and free resources needed to research your family history.
- If you want to get outside and enjoy some of our glorious fall weather, head to the Little Blue Trace walking and biking trail. This partially paved 15-mile riverside trail passes under several old trestles and modern overpasses.
- The George Owens Nature Park includes 86 acres of forests, lakes, and hiking trails to explore.
- Going out to eat is a must-do of things to do in Independence, MO, this summer. There are many fantastic spots in this quaint town, including places like Vivilore, V’s Italiano Ristorante, and Ophelia’s Restaurant.
If that’s not enough for you, there are plenty more things to do in Kansas City this fall, too, and it’s just a short drive away! Don’t let the opportunity for a great getaway pass you up this fall. Plan your trip to the National Frontier Trails Museum, and make sure to include a few days at our historic Independence, MO, Bed and Breakfast! Book your room today!