As one of the oldest cities in Missouri, Independence is most known being the hometown of President Harry S. Truman, but it’s also starting to get quite the reputation as a culinary destination. Restaurants in Independence, MO, are serving up stick-to-your-ribs BBQ, classic old-school Italian dishes, and farm-to-table meals at modern cafes. The local culinary talent impresses us at every turn, and we suggest dining out in our charming small and historic town at least once during your visit.
And while the selection of restaurants in Independence, MO, might not rival the sheer amount of choices in nearby Kansas City proper, it’s all about quality over quantity. More travelers have been expressing the desire to support local communities, and there’s no better way than by dining out at these family and locally-owned restaurants in Independence, MO. And one of the best perks is most of these establishments aren’t too far from our Kansas City Bed and Breakfast; some are just up the street!
As a guest at Silver Heart Inn—one of the best Kansas City Bed and Breakfasts—allow us to treat you to a spectacular morning meal during your stay. We like to be inventive, use local foods around the Kansas City area, and tailor our breakfast menu to the best of what each season offers. We have a lovely selection of delectable recipes for vegetarian, gluten-free, low-fat, diabetic, and other special situations. Just let us know at the time of your reservation. Be sure to join us for breakfast and head out to these nearby restaurants in Independence, MO, for lunch and dinner. Book your room today!
The Best Selection of Restaurants in Independence, MO
You’ll find all types of cuisine and dining styles at the best restaurants in Independence, MO. Whether you’re looking for upscale fine dining, simple Kansas City-style Barbecue, or your favorite international delights, we bet you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for at these local establishments. You’ll also be wowed by the warm and welcoming hospitality our small town offers—we love welcoming guests from all over the world!
Here’s just a handful of our favorite restaurants in Independence, MO, to try this year:
- Ophelia’s Restaurant: It’s hard to believe that one of the most romantic restaurants in Independence was once home to a hardware store! This romantic cafe is perfect for a date night with an eclectic menu of American classics and modern dishes. Don’t miss the fresh salads, hearty sandwiches, and creative entrees.
- V’s Italiano Ristorante: For traditional Italian dishes in an unpretentious setting, this is the perfect stop for rich pasta dishes, prime rib, and decadent desserts.
- A Little BBQ Joint: You don’t need to travel to Kansas City for the most delicious, mouth-watering BBQ; it’s just up the street from our Kansas City Bed and Breakfast. We’ll argue that this is some of the best BBQ in all of Missouri. They’re currently relocating to a bigger location, so keep an eye on their website for updates.
- Vivilore: Located in the heart of the historic Englewood Art District in Independence, you’ll find elegant modern American dining in this cafe, art gallery, and antique store. Enjoy a beautiful meal of farm-to-table favorites, and then peruse the antiques for a treasure to take home. One of the best restaurants in Independence, MO, for a romantic date!
- Café Verona: While this local Italian eatery is nestled in the historic Independence Square, the menu here will transport you from Missouri to the Italian Riviera. With a large selection of classic Italian favorites, this is an excellent stop for lunch or dinner, but it might be one of the best restaurants in Independence for happy hour!
- The Courthouse Exchange: You’ll rub elbows with the locals at this stalwart pub that’s been serving burgers since 1899. Step below street level to enter this cozy bar and enjoy the lively atmosphere and libations.
- Hereford House: As a longtime locally owned business, this eatery has been operating since the 50s. You’ll still find that old-time charm paired with generous steak dinners, jumbo shrimp cocktails, and tasty entrees.
- Dixon’s Famous Chili. Grab a red vinyl stool at the diner counter to enjoy this Kansas City-style staple! It is served in one of three ways (dry, soupy, or juicy) and then topped however you wish.
- Clinton’s Soda Fountain: When the day calls for an old-fashioned milkshake or sundae, there’s no better place than up at the marble bar at this longtime soda fountain.
- Square Pizza: In the mood for some classic pizza? This is one of the best restaurants in Independence, MO, to fix your craving. Grab these square pies to go, or enjoy the slices at one of their outdoor picnic tables.
The Best Kansas City Bed and Breakfast in Independence
The Silver Heart Inn has everything needed for your next getaway to our charming small historic town of Independence. Our four beautifully-appointed rooms each have its own unique theme and all the modern comforts for relaxation and resetting. Additionally, our two charming cottages offer guests maximum privacy with their kitchen and laundry—ideal for private romantic getaways just for two!
All our guests wake each day to a creative seasonal breakfast made with fresh local ingredients. We love to host our guests in our dining room, and it’s one of the ways we show our genuine appreciation for our valued visitors. After a hearty and wholesome meal, you’ll be ready for another day of exploring historic Independence Square, just a mile from our front door, touring the Harry S. Truman house and the local museums, and heading into downtown Kansas City.
After enjoying a delicious dinner at one of the local restaurants in Independence, MO, retreat back to our Kansas City Bed and Breakfast for a quiet evening in our shared spaces curled up by the fire, soak in our hot tub spa rooms, or relax in your big comfortable bed with a favorite show. We can’t wait to host you; book your room at our Kanase City B&B today!