The things to do in Independence MO include a variety of activities, including seeing impressive historic sites, eating delectable meals, and enjoying some of the area’s natural beauty. This little town lies in the heart of the nation just outside the metropolis of Kansas City. With the ambiance of an all-American hometown, Independence has a welcoming atmosphere that has invited people worldwide to learn about this historic town. Summer is an especially vibrant time to be here, with warm weather and lots of exciting things happening.
Let our Independence bed and breakfast be your perfect summer getaway! Our historic accommodations are located within a mile of attractions like Independence Square and The Truman Library. We feature four elegantly appointed rooms as well as two cozy cottages that are a true home away from home. Our Independence getaway holds on to the ambiance of a bygone era while including all the modern comforts you love in a quiet and tranquil setting.
Whether you are traveling through on business or are looking for the ultimate romantic escape, our Missouri bed and breakfast is sure to be the best place for your vacation needs. If you are ready to stay at our inn, full of character and history, book your room today!
Things to do in Independence MO
Independence is a place built on the interesting lives of the citizens who have called this Missouri town home over the years and is still a community of people who look towards a bright future. There are an abundance and variety of things to do in Independence MO because of the fascinating history this town holds on to as well as the vibrant scene of today’s Independence. From historic sites to incredible and innovative restaurants, to unique shopping, this small Missouri town has a big personality! Here are our favorite things to do in Independence MO this summer.
- A trip to Independence wouldn’t be complete without stopping by the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum. The exhibits here chronicle the former President’s private life and political career and highlights include the difficult decisions made during his time as a politician. You can also visit the Harry S. Truman Home, a National Historic Site, that was the longtime home of the former President.
- Speaking of historic homes, visiting the estates and mansions of former citizens of this town is one of the best things to do in Independence MO this summer. The Bingham-Waggoner Estate was built in 1852 and was owned by famed civil war artist George Caleb Bingham. The estate was later to be the home of the Waggoner family. Tours are offered daily.
- Another historic home worth a visit is the Harvey M. Vaile Mansion. This Victorian Gothic structure includes many great examples of architectural details of the era like the solid Black Walnut staircase in the entryway. It was seen as the height of style and modernity in its day. Tour season is April through the end of October.
- The National Frontier Trails Museum is a history museum, interpretive center, and research library that tells the story of America’s pioneering trails like Oregon, Santa Fe, and California trails. It highlights the trails and explorer’s impact on American history. One of the more interesting things to do in Independence MO this summer.
- The theme of history continues when you visit the Midwest Geneology Center. This building provides access to thousands of on-site materials and free resources needed to research your family history. This is definitely one of the more memorable things to do in Independence MO!
- Outdoor things to do in Independence MO include heading over to The Little Blue Trace walking and biking trail. This partially paved 15-mile riverside trail is lined with wildflowers in the summer. The trail passes under several old trail trestles as well as modern overpasses when it goes through towns.
- The George Owens Nature Park includes 86 acres of forests, lakes, and hiking trails to explore. Since 1977 this facility has been giving the residents and visitors of Independence a much-needed respite into nature. Featured amenities include picnic areas, rain gardens, a butterfly garden, and nature programs for all ages.
- Going out to eat is a must-do of things to do in Independence MO this summer. There are a surprising amount of amazing spots to discover in this quaint town. Places like Vivilore, V’s Italiano Ristorante, and Ophelia’s Restaurant provide memorable meals in beautiful and romantic settings.
The Best Independence Lodging
While exploring all of the fun things to do in Independence MO you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you have an elegant and comfortable place to rest and rejuvenate at the end of the day. In our historic inn, you’ll feel as if you have stepped back in time to a bygone era where you can slow down, relax and take it all in. We are the perfect summertime escape located in a quiet community that feels like home.
Our guest rooms are the best retreat providing privacy and a beautifully appointed space filled with gorgeous architectural details. With amenities such as a gas or electric fireplace, in-room snacks, complimentary streaming Netflix, and much more this will feel like the perfect getaway. We also offer 2 cozy cottages for even more seclusion for a romantic escape. The cottages include a full kitchen, living room, electric fireplaces, and more amenities to make your stay exactly what you want. If you are looking for the best getaway to Independence MO this summer, book your room or cottage today!