There are plenty of fantastic things to do in Independence, Missouri this summer, not to mention even more great things to do in Kansas City, which is just a short drive away. However, one of our favorites is visiting the exquisite Vaile Mansion, which is just a short drive away from our Independence, Missouri Bed and Breakfast.
If you’re a history lover, you don’t want to miss the opportunity to delve into the fascinating history on display in charming Independence. Independence is a satellite community of Kansas City – a spectacular city to explore in its own right – and is home to top attractions like the Harry S. Truman Library, the Frontier Trails Museum, and one of the nation’s leading genealogical libraries. It’s also home exquisite old homes like Vaile Mansion, which dates back to the late 1800s.
While you’re exploring Independence and even neighboring Kansas City, let our historic Missouri Bed and Breakfast serve as your home away from home. We offer a range of elegant accommodations with the perfect blend of old-world charm and modern amenities. We also offer private cottages for those seeking a longer or more private getaway. What more could you ask for in a getaway? Book your room at our Missouri Bed and Breakfast in Independence, MO today.
Visit Vaile Mansion & Arboretum This Summer
Visiting the Vaile Mansion and Arboretum is one of the top-rated things to do in Independence, Missouri – and it’s easy to see why! This spectacular Victorian Mansion was built in 1881 for prominent businessman Harvey M. Vaile, and it stands today as a beautiful reminder of this historic city’s past.
The Vaile Mansion certainly stands out among its neighbors and stands as one of the only Second-Empire-style structures in this part of the midwest – and it’s one of the best preserved in the entire country. Throughout the interior of the Vaile Mansion, you’ll enjoy Victorian, Italianate, and Gothic details, including a grand welcoming staircase, a snow-white Cararra marble mantle with onyx accents in the main parlor, and much more.
Thanks to the Vaile Victorian Society, the interior of the Vaile Mansion is furnished as it would have been at the height of the Victorian Era, featuring an outstanding collection of antique furniture and other memorabilia. The Vaile Mansion is open for regular tours from Sunday – Thursday between April 1 and October 31st. Reservations generally aren’t needed, and tickets can be purchased at the door.
The magnificent Vaile Mansion is situated on a beautifully landscaped 5-acres, which includes an arboretum. Here, you’ll find a variety of preserved native trees, including the Missouri State Champion Smoketree, Liberty Elm, and an allée of 30 Sugar Maples. There’s also a beautiful lilac collection on the grounds that is worth seeing when they bloom in the spring.
More Things to do in Independence, Missouri
As great as visiting the Vaile Mansion is, it’s just one of the many great things to do in Independence, Missouri. Independence sometimes gets overshadowed by its neighbor to the west, Kansas City. But to ignore the many great things to do in Independence, Missouri would be a mistake.
From plenty of great historical sites like the Vaile Mansion to incredible and innovative restaurants and unique shopping, this small Missouri town has a big personality! Here are our favorite things to do in Independence, MO, this summer.
- Visit the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, which chronicles the former President’s private life and political career and is one of the most popular things to do in Independence, Missouri. Add to your list a visit to the Harry S. Truman Home, a National Historic Site.
- Aside from the Vaile Mansion, another great historic home to visit in Independence, Missouri is the Bingham-Waggoner Estate. This home was built in 1852 and was owned by famed civil war artist George Caleb Bingham.
- Keep America’s pioneering spirit alive and visit the National Frontier Trails Museum. It tells the story of America’s pioneering trails like the Oregon, Santa Fe, and California trails and is one of the best things to do in Independence, Missouri.
- Trace your family’s lineage at the Midwest Geneology Center. This is definitely one of the more memorable things to do in Independence, Missouri.
- Take a break outdoors and enjoy the Little Blue Trace walking and biking trail. This partially paved 15-mile riverside trail is lined with wildflowers in the summer and is a beautiful way to explore the area.
- Another great place to spend a summer afternoon is George Owens Nature Park, which includes 86 acres of forests, lakes, and hiking trails to explore.
Looking for even more great things to do nearby? Consider this list of the best things to do in Kansas City, too! Of course, don’t forget about spending some time right here at our Missouri Bed and Breakfast, where you can relax in a way you simply can’t do at home. There’s never been a better time to explore America’s heartland. Book your room at our Missouri Bed and Breakfast today.